Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day Fifteen: Modern Community

No, not the best sitcom mashup ever. Although that would be one pretty awesome mashup. I'm actually talking about community in the modern world.

Davy Jones' death got me thinking about it. At first, I wondered if by not reading news, I was in for a lifetime of not knowing when certain famous celebrities die. Would it get to the point where I was like "Hey, I hope the next Terminator move stars Arnold" only for someone to answer "Arnold's been dead for six years, where have you been?!?"?

Then I realized that would never happen. I mean look at poor Davy. Not the biggest of celebrities anymore, yet I knew the day of his death that he had gone. Primarily through Facebook, but also through an in-person comment.

That led to me thinking, hey, maybe I need to give up FB to be truly news-free (still haven't decided on that, but continuing to allow FB for now, with the newsreader apps blocked so I don't see others' headlines). But then it hit me--suppose I give up FB. It's not like everyone else is going to give it up. That virtual community will still exist, and it will still supplant actual community with or without me.

Online social networks supplanting actual community. I know I'm not the first one to have that thought, and people have been bemoaning the demise of community since the popularization of television; nevertheless, I found it interesting to think about.

Now I need to get working on that mashup...

No comments:

Post a Comment