Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day Ten: Turning a Corner?

I had a few good signs today.

First, I've noticed my thinking has gotten a bit clearer. I feel more creative, and ideas seem to be coming easier. This could all be the placebo effect, or a result of a normal cyclical pattern--I've had plenty of times in the past while still reading the news where I would have a patch of exceptionally clear thinking. Either way, I'm definitely at the beginning of a fruitful period of thought right now.

Second, I happened to hear the radio announcer say something about it being Super Tuesday as I was flipping through stations on the way home. My reaction was anger. I didn't want to hear about it. I had forgotten that it was Super Tuesday and I didn't want to be reminded. A week ago, I think hearing the same news would have whetted my appetite to hear more. Today, it had the opposite effect.

Third, I'm not feeling the anxiety over the stock market that I expected to be constant so long as I was without the news. There were a few moments last week when I wanted to check, but overall, I'm pretty calm about the whole thing. I have to admit, this surprises even me.

Fourth, calm is really the word. I have an overall sense of calmness that has started to come over me. The news twitches from last week are severely lessened--generally, I don't really care at this point, and that's a good thing. News now feels like noise on an emotional level rather than just on a rational level. That's going to be key for this change to be a lasting one.

I remember reading somewhere that it takes 28 days to form a new habit. If things continue to progress the way they have so far, the news should be a distant memory by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment