Sunday, March 18, 2012

Days Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-one, Twenty-two, and Beyond: Final Scorecard

Well, I think this experiment is at an end. No, not the news experiment--that's going strong. The blog experiment.

I'm glad I gave it a try--and who knows, maybe I'll be back with a less-frequently updated blog with actual interesting stuff to say--but I'm not sure my chosen topic was the most fruitful choice for daily updates. I thought it had a chance, but I found very little to say after the first ten days or so. I mostly reiterated what was in Dobelli's original piece.

Anyway, final scores:

  • Quitting the news: A. I quit, I haven't gone back, and I have no desire to go back. On the occasions that a headline makes its way towards me (a stray radio headline; the crawl across the bottom of the TV screen; a Facebook comment; stupid cut-in 11:00 news promos during primetime), I am usually more annoyed than intrigued, and the content only justifies my decision with its insipidness.
  • Benefits of quitting the news: A. I've picked up more interesting reading and found some good new websites.
  • Using my newly found free time well: B. Still need to get better at this. Reading news does not have to be replaced with reading other stuff. Maybe with the spring and summer coming, I can convince myself to be more outdoorsy.
  • Blogging: C+. I don't think my posts were as interesting as I thought they'd be, and I don't think I was able to spend enough time to craft them rather than just draft them. This format's not for me.
  • Knowing blogging's not for me: A. Hey, it goes along with the whole theme of giving up the news--spend time on the things that are worth it for you. Right here, right now, with this topic, it's not worth it for me, so I'll spend the time on something better.
Anyway, that's the whole story. Overall, I think it's been a worthwhile change, and I hope it'll be a catalyst for bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment